Public Safety and Courts Reporter
Posted on: January 6, 2022
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and
digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed
to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the
national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions
with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local
media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a
wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more
than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital
marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and
WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and
runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Jackson Sun and jacksonsun.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK,
is seeking a reporter to cover public safety and courts.
We're looking for a talented, insightful, curious and ambitious
multimedia reporter who is adept at breaking news, crafting
enterprise stories, collaborating with peers to conceptualize
visuals (graphics, videos, etc.), engaging with the community on
social media and shooting video, including appearing in front the
The Sun is committed to providing public safety and crime reporting
that is fair, solution-based and focused on accountability. We want
to listen to, engage with and respond to those often underserved
and statistically misrepresented in crime and courts coverage. And
we aim to balance our crime reporting by highlighting the good news
that builds and restores relationships and trust with all
We value top-notch journalism that makes a connection with readers.
And we'll give you the time and coaching to deliver high-impact
stories our digital readers crave. Through the USA TODAY Network,
we benefit from industry experts, sophisticated tools and
- Create storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and
engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of
- Work toward becoming the community's leading voice in area of
- Connect with the community through storytelling.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Work with your content coach and digital partners to evaluate
what's working and what's not and develop ongoing plans to better
satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate with photographers to provide all appropriate
elements for stories. Capture basic photos and video as
- Promote your personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the
- Provide great customer service, helping readers find answers
- Bachelor's or master's degree in communications, journalism or
related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content
that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Passionate about news and content that will work well with
audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- Willingness to grow and develop a key beat in our
- Comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook,
Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote
- Understanding of reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excel in a fast-paced news environment and understands the
digital first mission.
- Collaborate well with others and can work with a team on the
- This role requires a valid driver's license, reliable
transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment
background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen
(for driving roles only).We are eager to learn more about you and
how you fit this role. When you apply, don't limit your upload to a
resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single
document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume - one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've
produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in
your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single
document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will
ensure that your application receives the highest
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed
to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will
consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not
discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis
of an applicant or employee's race, color, national origin,
ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender
identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status,
personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual
orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental
disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including
childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions),
education, genetic characteristics or information, political
affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications
protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the
jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees. In addition, Gannett
Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable
accommodation, as a result of an applicant's disability or
religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other
process in connection with an individuals' application for
employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such
accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.'s Recruitment
Department at Recruit@gannett.com.
Keywords: Gannett, Jackson , Public Safety and Courts Reporter, Advertising , Jackson, Tennessee
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!